In partnership with Komoot and just because, we are challenging you to ride the most amount of elevation you can in one 20 mile ride (32.2km). Komoot are giving away an annual premium subscription for the winner (highest elevation gain), and a couple of 'world packs' for special & interesting efforts.
This is not a 'who's the best cyclist challenge', it's about route planning and exploration, and about having fun! So plot your route carefully, get out on the road and climb.
If you wish to team up on the challenge this can be completed as a pair. If you're not a great route planner, or not comfortable exploring new climbs solo (or just want some company) then head to the Members App to find a climbing partner.
How To Take Part:
- Create a free Komoot account (or log in)
- Follow Dirty Wknd so we can follow you back and see your effort
- Create a 20 mile route with as much climbing as you can (observing below rules)
- Head out and ride said route between Sat 30th May - Sun 21st June
- Upload your ride to Komoot (and Strava) for us to check (tag (@dirty wknd)
- We'll announce the winners on the 21st June
There are some caveats however, so please check the below before plotting your route:
Elevation Game Rules:
- Has to be a new ride - no uploading an old GPX file!
- Must be an outside ride - no Zwift or turbo sessions
- You can ride to the start of your 'climbing route', but you need to stop your device at the start of the route and start a new ride, stooping the new ride at exactly 20 miles/32.2km. Upload all rides as separate rides so we can judge your 20 mile effort
- You cannot drive or take the train and then start your ride. Your route has to be reachable by bike
- You cannot use the same climb twice during the ride - so no hills reps!
- No stopping/pausing your device or phone between climbs - the 20 miles must include riding between each climb.
- You can use the same descent or flat piece of road more than once, just not climbs
- No prizes for speed/power or any of that nonsense!
If anyone might be looking for some inspiration, then the Leith Hill Octopus is a great route to start with if you're willing to ride there. Other good options are Epping Forest, Highgate/North London, and the Crystal Palace and Wimbledon areas of South London. For more inspiration check out this blog.
The challenge window is Saturday 30th May until Sunday 21st June, so plenty of time to have a go. Please tag us on social media in your attempts so we can repost your efforts.
Highest elevation gain in the 20 miles ride wins a Komoot Premium subscription, plus extra prizes for doing something special, so get a little bit creative. If you wish to partner up that's cool, just head to the members app and find a friend.
Good luck and have fun!